Hurricane Safety Tips
Tropical Storm Harvey was recently upgraded to a Hurricane Category 3 in the latest update from the National Hurricane Center. Harvey will bring a deadly storm surge and major flooding to the Texas coast and possibly Louisiana which hasn’t fully recovered from their last flooding. Flooding is the main thing people should be concerned about right now.
Below are some Hurricane tips to keep in mind year-round.
Before Hurricane Season:
- Enter the season prepared.
- Know all evacuation routes if you live close to the coast.
- Make sure your home meets building codes for withstanding hurricanes, and they have storm shutters.
- Have proper tools, supplies, and a first aid kit.
- Have plenty of batteries and flashlights
- Always have plenty of non-perishable foods on hand.
When A Hurricane Watch or Warning is Being Issued:
- Leave low lying areas.
- Protect windows with plywood boards, or storm shutters.
- Secure outside objects.
- Make sure you have plenty of fuel and water.
- Have several days supply of food and water for each family member.
- If called to evacuate, do so immediately.
Before the Storm:
- Be ready to put your plan and preparation into action.
- Pay attention to local weather reports on radio, television, or the internet.
- Have house boarded up, or have storm shutters in place.
- Have plenty of food and water.
- Make sure all your tools, supplies, and first aid kit available for use.
- Have a secure room available
During the Storm:
- Stay in Secure Room.
- Stay away from windows.
- Do not use the phone, or candles.
- Monitor Weather and Civil Service Bulletins on either regular or NOAA radio.
- Have supplies on hand.
- Remain indoors when the eye moves over your area because the storm will resume shortly.
- Make sure that all is definitely clear outside, and the storm has completely passed before going out.
- Report downed power lines, and stay away from them.
- Use stored water and food.
- Be patient. Things will take a while before they get back to normal.
Destruction in Cuba from Hurricane Irma
In Cuba, the destruction along the north central coast was similar to that seen onRead More
Hurricane Safety Tips
Tropical Storm Harvey was recently upgraded to a Hurricane Category 3 in the latest updateRead More